- FOR THE MERINGUE
- 1 cup superfine baker's sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- ¾ cup egg whites (from 5-6 eggs), at room temperature
- powdered sugar for dusting
- FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- TO FINISH
- 1 jar American Spoon Strawberry-Rhubarb Preserve
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
Cook time: 2 hours
Preparation time: .5 hours
- 1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Lightly butter two 9-inch cake pans and line the bottoms with a round of parchment paper. Dust the sides of the pans with powdered sugar, tapping out any excess. In a bowl, toss together superfine sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch. In a separate bowl, combine vanilla extract and vinegar. Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment and whip on medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to medium-high and add sugar one tablespoon at a time. Once all the sugar is incorporated, continue beating on medium-high for one minute. Add the vinegar and vanilla mixture, then turn to high and whip for 5 minutes, until egg whites are thick and glossy and hold a stiff peak. Divide the meringue into the two prepared cake pans and smooth the tops.
- 2. Place the meringues in the oven and bake for about one hour, until the meringues are crisp and dry to the touch. Turn oven off and allow the finished meringues to cool in the oven for an additional hour. Once cooled, run a small knife around the edge of each meringue, then invert the pan and gently turn them out. Carefully peel the parchment from the bottom of the meringues, and then turn right side-up. The meringues are very delicate and care should be taken removing them from the cake pans, as they may crack and crumble.
- 3. While the meringues are baking, place the sour cream and the heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat with a whisk attachment until cream holds soft peaks. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4. To finish the dessert, dollop conserve by the spoonful onto the two meringues. Working with one meringue, place half of the whipped sour cream in the middle and spread it carefully to the edges. Top the cream with half of the Strawberry-Rhubarb Preserve. Carefully set the other meringue on the filled meringue and repeat with the cream and preserve. Scatter pistachios over the pavlova and serve immediately.