Apple & Cinnamon Hand Pies
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
8 ounces (2 sticks) cold salted butter, cut into cubes
¼ cup cold water
1 jar of Apple & Cinnamon Preserves
1 jar of Michigan Maple Cream
Cook time: 25 minutes
Preparation time: 45 minutes
1. In a large bowl, toss the cubed butter with the flour to coat. Turn the mixture out onto a clean work surface and, using the heel of your hand, press the butter into the flour. Scrape mixture off your board with a pastry scraper or off-set spatula and turn it back into the pile. Repeat until the butter is pressed into flakes and the mixture starts to come together in a shaggy mass. Make a well in the mixture and add the cold water. Knead just until dough comes together. Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Remove dough from refrigerator. Place unwrapped dough on a liberally floured work surface, flour the top of the dough and roll into a rectangle. Brush any excess flour from top of dough and then fold dough into thirds. Turn the dough 90 degrees, then roll and fold again. Chill for one hour.
3. Roll the dough out on a floured surface to about 1/8″ thickness. Cut the dough out into 6″ circles, transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes. Gather the scraps up, chill, and reroll to cut additional circles.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Remove the chilled dough circles from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 2-3 minutes until pliable. Place one heaping tablespoon of preserves on one half of each dough circle. Moisten the edges of the dough with water, fold the circles in half over the filling, and crimp closed with the back of a fork. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from refrigerator and use a sharp knife to cut a small slit in each turnover. Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Cool on a rack and drizzle Maple Cream on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.