Spiced Pear Galette
- 2¼ cups flour
- 8 ounces salted butter, cold and cut into ¼- inch pieces
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- 2 jars American Spoon Spiced Pear Conserve
- 5 large Bartlett pears
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
Cook time: 1 hours
Preparation time: 1 hours
- 1. In a large bowl, toss the cubed butter and flour together, coating the butter cubes with flour. Using your fingers, smear the butter and flour together to form thin flakes. Continue until all the butter is pressed into flakes and the mixture starts to come together in a shaggy mass. Make a well in the mixture and add just enough cold water to moisten the flour. Knead just enough to bring the dough. Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. While the dough chills, places the sugar and water into a small sauce pot. Heat just enough to dissolve the sugar, then let cool slightly. Slice the pears in half vertically and remove the cores and stems from the fruit. Starting right below the stem, slice the pears length-wise ¼ inch thick, leaving the slices connected at the stem end.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the dough into a 13-inch circle, about ⅛-inch thick. Transfer the dough to your baking sheet. Spoon the Spiced Pear Conserve over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border around the edge uncovered. Fan the pears over the Conserve then brush the pears with the sugar syrup. Fold the remaining dough in to form a crust and enclose the fruit. Brush the crust with the egg wash, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 4. Bake the galette until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 45-60 minutes.