Peppermint Caramel Silk Pie
- FOR THE CRUST
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces cold butter, cut in 1” pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FOR THE FILLING
- 2 jars Peppermint Caramel
- 1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- crushed candy canes, to garnish
Preparation time: 1 hours
- 1. For the crust, place flours, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add cold butter and process until pea sized. Add eggs and vanilla extract; pulse just until dough comes together. Turn dough out between two pieces of parchment paper. Press into a disk, then wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 2. Remove dough from fridge and roll out to a 1/8” thick round. Flour the dough to keep from sticking to rolling pin. Transfer dough to a 10” tart pan and press it into pan with your fingers. Fold excess dough back into the pan to make double-wall crust. Press together snugly, then trim any excess. Chill in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- 3. Cover dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in 350-degree oven for 30 minutes, then remove parchment paper and pie weights. Bake for 10 minutes more, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- 4. While crust cools, heat 1½ jars of caramel in small pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Once sauce has thickened, pour into tart shell in even layer. Let cool at room temperature one hour.
- 5. Place gelatin and water in small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to hydrate. Using stand mixer with whisk attachment, whip cream on medium-high until medium peaks form. Microwave gelatin-water mixture until gelatin is just dissolved, about 10-15 seconds. Start whipping cream again, on low. Add gelatin mixture and remaining caramel and return to medium-high speed. Whip until caramel is incorporated and mixture thickens slightly.
- 6. When ready to serve, pile the caramel-whipped cream into tart shell and garnish with crushed candy canes.