Citrus & Passion Fruit Pavlova with fresh berries
- FOR THE MERINGUE
- 1 cup superfine baker's sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- powdered sugar for dusting
- FOR THE BERRIES
- 1 cup strawberries
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup powdered suger
- TO FINISH
- 1 jar Citrus & Passion Fruit Curd
Cook time: 2 hours
Preparation time: .5 hours
- 1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a bowl, toss together superfine sugar and cornstarch. Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment and whip on medium speed until medium peaks form. Increase speed to medium-high and add sugar in three additions. Once all the sugar is incorporated, continue beating on medium-high for 1-2 minutes. Add the vinegar and vanilla, then turn to high and whip for 3-4 minutes, until egg whites are thick and glossy and hold a stiff peak.
- 2. Scoop the egg white mixture onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and mound into a 10-12” circle. Place the meringue in the oven, reduce the heat to 200, and bake for about 90 minutes until crisp and dry to the touch. Turn oven off and cool in the oven for at least an hour. Once the meringue is cool, it can be stored covered at room temperature for up to 2 days before proceeding.
- 3. Hull and quarter the strawberries. Combine with rest of fruit in a bowl and toss with the sugar. Allow the berry mixture to macerate at room temperature for an hour, then refrigerate.
- 4. While berries macerate, place the sour cream and the heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat with a whisk attachment until cream holds soft peaks. Add the powdered sugar and continue to whip for 30 seconds more. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 5. To finish, push down on the center of the pavlova to make a well. Dollop the whipped cream in the well. Drizzle the Citrus & Passion Fruit Curd all over the pavlova, then mound the macerated fruit in the middle and serve immediately.