Sour Cherry Slab Pie
- FOR THE CRUST
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound (4 sticks) cold salted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ cup cold water
- FOR THE FILLING
- 3 Jars Fruit Perfect Sour Cherries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ tablespoons water
- ½ tablespoon vanilla
- pinch of coarse sugar
Preparation time: 1 hours
- 1. . In a large bowl, toss the cubed butter and flour together. Using your fingers, smear the butter and flour together to form thin flakes. Continue until the mixture starts to come together in a shaggy mass. Add just enough cold water to bring the dough together. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. While the dough chills, empty cherries into medium bowl. Separately, stir together cornstarch and water until the cornstarch is dissolved. Stir mixture into cherries along with sugar and vanilla extract.
- 3. Remove dough from refrigerator. If necessary, allow to stand for a few minutes until soft enough to roll. Divide the dough in two pieces. On a floured work surface, roll each piece in a 15”x12” rectangle, about ¼˝-thick. Carefully transfer one of the rectangles to a 13”x9.5” cookie sheet. The dough should hang over the top rim of the pie tin by about 1-inch. Pour in cherry filling.
- 4. To create woven lattice top, cut twelve ½˝ strips with the remaining dough rectangle. Arrange half the strips evenly over the top of the pie. Weave the remaining dough strips through at a 90° angle. Use sharp scissors to trim strips to ½˝ overhang. Using the overhanging dough from the bottom crust, fold over, encasing the lattice ends, to make a double-walled crust. Crimp as desired, making sure the crust is flush with outer edge of pie pan. If desired, brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place a piece of aluminum foil along the edge of the pie crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and continue baking for another 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Allow pie to cool at least 3 hours before serving.
Sour Cherry Slab Pie