Jelly Doughnut Cake with Wild Thimbleberry Jam
- FOR THE CAKE
- Butter and powdered sugar, for preparing the pan
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 5 ounces unsalted butter (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons), melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 jar Wild Thimbleberry Jam (or your favorite preserve/conserve)
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Preparation time: 1.5 hours
- 1. Butter the inside of an 8-inch cake pan, then place a parchment round on the bottom. Dust the sides of the pan with powdered sugar. Preheat oven to 350.
- 2. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, and eggs. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- 3. Add about half of the batter to the prepared cake pan. Spoon the jam on top of the batter, leaving about a half-inch border around the edge of the pan. Add the remaining batter in an even layer.
- 4. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cover the cake pan with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning.
- 5. Cool cake for 5 minutes before removing from pan. For the topping, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Brush the top and sides of the cake with the melted butter and dust with the cinnamon sugar.