Fruit Perfect Sour Cherry Pie
- pastry for one pie crust and lattice
- 2 jars American Spoon Fruit Perfect Sour Cherries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Cook time: 15 minutes
Preparation time: 60 minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees at least 15 minutes before baking time. Have oven rack at middle level and place oven stone or baking sheet on rack before preheating.
- 2. Empty cherries into medium bowl. Stir together cornstarch and water in small bowl until corn starch is dissolved. Gently and evenly stir mixture into cherries along with sugar and vanilla extract.
- 3. Remove dough for bottom crust from refrigerator. If necessary, allow to stand for a few minutes until soft enough to roll. On a floured work surface, roll dough ¼˝-thick. Cut two 13-inch rounds out of the rolled dough. Carefully transfer one of the dough rounds to pie pan. The dough should hang over the top rim of the pie tin by about 1-inch. Pour in cherry filling.
- 4. To create woven lattice top, cut twelve ½˝ strips with the remaining dough round. Arrange half the strips evenly over the top of the pie. Weave the remaining dough strips through at a 90° angle. Use a sharp scissors to trim strips to ½˝ overhang. Using the overhanging dough from the bottom crust, fold over, encasing the lattice ends, to make a double-walled crust. Crimp as desired, making sure the crust is flush with outer edge of pie pan. Alternately, trim the second dough round to a 12-inch circle. Moisten the edge of the bottom crust with water and place the top crust over the fruit. Using the overhanging dough from the bottom crust, fold over, encasing the top piece to make a double-walled crust and crimp together. If desired, brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 5. Place foil on pie edge (The crust will bake under the foil and brown perfectly). Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbling thickly all over. Allow pie to cool at least 3 hours before serving.