Caramel Apple Pie
- FOR THE CRUST
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces (3 sticks) cold salted butter, cut into cubes
- ⅓ to ½ cup cold water
- 1 egg yolk, whisked with a tablespoon of water
- pinch of coarse sugar
- FOR THE FILLING
- 6 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 jar Salted Maple Caramel
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Cook time: 1 hours
Preparation time: 1 hours
- 1. In a large bowl, toss the cubed butter and flour together. Using your fingers, smear the butter and flour together to form thin flakes. Continue until the mixture starts to come together in a shaggy mass. Add just enough cold water to bring the dough together. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. To make the filling, whisk together the salt, cinnamon, and corn starch, then toss with the sliced apples. Heat the caramel till it is fluid and pours easily. Add the caramel and vinegar to the apple mixture and mix till the apples are covered with the caramel. Let the filling macerate while you roll out the crust.
- 3. Pre-heat your oven to 350. Divide the dough in half. Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the dough into two 13-inch circles, about ⅛-inch thick. Transfer one of the dough circles to a 9-inch pie tin. Add the filling. Top with the second dough round, making sure you cut openings in the top to allow steam to vent. Trim any excess dough, then fold the edges of the top and bottom dough together to form a crust. Brush the crust with the egg wash, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 4. Place the pie tin on a baking sheet to catch any overflow. Drape a piece of aluminum foil over the top crust to prevent overbrowning. Bake pie for 25 minutes then rotate and remove the foil. Bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until the crust is a deep golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Allow to cool completely before serving.